Thank you for your interest in joining the editorial staff of the Kennedy School Review!
Founded in 2000, we are a community of student editors committed to publishing timely, provocative, and intellectually rigorous analysis and commentary on the most important policy issues of our time.
Click here to fill out our interest form to receive editor-selection-related messages, and plan to join us at our info session.
The application to become an editor can be found here. The deadline to apply is noon on Monday, Sept. 17.
Upcoming Info Sessions
Wednesday, September 5 (HKS Shopping Days), 5 p.m., Rubenstein 304 (RSVP here)
How Can I Get Involved?
KSR is looking for students to join our passionate team as associate editors. We’re recruiting editors to join teams that produce our annual print journal, website and podcast and craft long-term strategy as we continue to grow.
Associate editors typically spend 4-5 hours per week on KSR business, including editing peers’ writing, attending biweekly KSR meetings and editorial training sessions, and enjoying social events together.
All editors can expect to edit several pieces for the KSR website throughout the year, serve as the primary editor of at least one piece for the print journal, and contribute to other KSR initiatives. As well, each editor joins a team that coordinates on of our projects (more details below).
We are also always looking for new writers to contribute smart policy ideas, research, news analysis, and commentary on our website and longer researched pieces for our April print journal. More information about pitching KSR can be found here.
Editor Selection Timeline
Wed., Sept. 5: Info Session (5 p.m., Rubenstein 304).
Fri., Sept. 14: KSR meet and greet at the Student Organizations Fair during Quorum Call.
Mon., Sept. 17, noon: Online application due, including CV/resume, writing sample, and statement of interest.
Thu., Sept. 20 – Tue., Sept. 25: In-person interviews for invited candidates.
Tue., Sept. 25: Editing exercise due for invited candidates.
No later than Tue., Oct. 2: Finalists informed of decisions.
How to Apply
Thank you for taking the next step toward becoming an associate editor. Every year, our goal is to attract the very best editors from all backgrounds, interests, and perspectives.
The form will ask for the following information:
- Resume or CV.
- Writing sample.
- Brief statement of interest.
- Preference for which of our teams you would like to join:
- Print: Focused on all things related to the print journal, published each spring. This group organizes logistics around the phases of making the print journal: soliciting pitches, finalizing the stable of articles for the journal, coordinating editors, rounds of copy editing, and the print journal launch party in Cambridge.
- Digital: We publish new articles several times per week on the KSR website. The digital team coordinates our website, including soliciting pitches, working with editors and authors, KSR’s social media and newsletter, and finding new ways to write about urgent problems and newsy issues. Digital also coordinates our special series deep dives on issues.
- Podcast: This group produces and edits the KSR podcast, launched last year. It’s a new platform but one we’re excited about. The podcast team is working on finding new ways to talk about policy this year, including audio stories, interviews with interesting people, and panel discussions.
- Strategy: KSR’s strategy team focuses on our long-term goals, growing our reach, and the business side of the publication. It manages relationships with funders, the formation of our advisory board, and finding new ways to connect our work with policy practitioners and researchers.
We hope you’ll join us at our info session on Wednesday, Sept. 5 (5 p.m., Rubenstein 304) and stop by our table at the HKS Student Organizations Fair on Friday, Sept. 14.